No. / Name Photo Wheel Arrang't Builder's No. & Year Status Location

Notes & References

All Builders
3' 6" Gauge
Pioneer No.1 0-4-2T Hunslet 624 of 1896 Stored Ayr Ex-Pioneer Mill.  Pioneer is privately owned and kept at Ayr.
Inkerman No.1 0-6-0T Hunslet 1119 of 1913 Under Restoration Burdekin, near Home Hill Ex-Inkerman Mill, Home Hill. This locomotive is now privately owned and I understand it is being restored; refer to the Inkerman No.1 page.
Airdale 0-6-0T Avonside 2043 of 1930 Stored Boonah, SE Queensland Ex-Pioneer Mill, where it worked from 1930 to approx 1968. Airdale was placed in park in Brandon by Ayr Lions Club in 1973, but removed in 1992 and the boiler removed for use at a sawmill. Airdale is now privately preserved at Boonah.
John Fowler & Co Ltd, Leeds, England
2' Gauge
( - ) 0-4-2T Fowler 4668 of 1883 Display Australian Sugar Heritage Centre, Mourilyan Ex-Mourilyan Mill.  This loco is a rare example of the early Fowler 'jackshaft drive' steam locomotive, which was apparently intended to reduce maintenance on light lines by keeping the cylinders and crosshead well above the dust of ground level. A full history of the loco is provided by the Australian Sugar Industry Museum on its website.  This photograph shows Fowler 4668 at Mourilyan on 23 August 2004; here is a link to a further photo detailing the jackshaft drive.
3 0-6-0T Fowler 7607 of 1896 Display Childers Refer to the Fowler 7607 of 1896 page.
Pioneer 0-6-0T Fowler 8047 of 1899 Stored ANGRMS, Woodford Ex-Mossman Mill (north of Cairns).  'Pioneer' is fitted with Joy valve gear.  Retired in 1965 and purchased by ANGRMS in 1973, Pioneer was transferred to Woodford in 1983 (38) where it remains in storage as seen in this photo of 12 April 2003. (1)  Refer also to the ANGRMS web page for Pioneer.
Faugh-ah-Ballagh 0-6-0T Fowler 8733 of 1900 Plinthed Port Douglas Refer to the Fowler 8733 of 1900 page.
Perth 0-6-0T+T Fowler 8766 of 1900 Stored Loftus, NSW Ex-Macknade Mill.  'Perth' was apparently built as a tank locomotive, but was a tender was added at a later stage of its career.  Perth had been plinthed at Ingham until obtained privately for preservation.  It is undergoing restoration at a private location in Loftus, as seen in this photograph of 8 January 2006.
4 0-6-0T Fowler 11165 of 1907 Display Bauple Ex-Isis Mill, Cordalba.  This locomotive had been plinthed in a Maryborough park until 1983, when moved to a local car wrecking yard 'Parky's Parts'. It was reported in January 2002 as purchased by Bauple Historical Society for incorporation into an historical exhibit in the town of Bauple, at the location of the former Mt Bauple sugar mill. (21)  This photo of 28 January 2004 shows No.4 displayed at the new museum site. It appears that a simple but unauthentic cab has been mocked-up, and the side tanks are yet to be replaced. (1)
Invicta 0-6-2 Fowler 11277 of 1907 Operational Bundaberg Steam Tramway Preservation Society (Bundaberg Botanic Gardens) Ex-Qunaba Mill, Bundaberg.  This locomotive has been extensively rebuilt as part of its return to operation; refer to the Invicta page for further information & photos.
5 0-6-0T Fowler 11885 of 1909 Operational Alexandra Timber Tramway, Vic This handsome Fowler locomotive was last used by Gin Gin Mill, Wallaville.  No. 5 was an exhibit at the Goulburn Museum of Historic Engines from 1972 to 1978 and was purchased for the Alexandra Timber Tramway in 1981.  No.5 has been the regular operating locomotive at the Alexandra Timber Tramway  since 1988, excepting periods of overhaul.
8 0-6-0T Fowler 12271 of 1910 Plinthed Taree, NSW Ex-Macknade Mill.  No. 8 operated for many years at Timbertown, Wauchope NSW where it was known as "The Green Hornet".  By January 2011 it had been sold and is now plinthed at the Railway Lodge Motel, Taree.
6 0-6-0 Fowler 13325 of 1912 Plinthed Childers No.6 came from the locomotive fleet at Isis Central Mill, Cordalba.  It is displayed at Childers.
Bli Bli

0-4-2T

Fowler 14418 of 1914 Workshop Nambour Museum For many years 'Bli Bli' had been plinthed at Muller Park, Bli Bli.  In June 2011 it moved to Nambour to join the collection of the Nambour & District Historical Museum.
3 Anzac - 0-4-2T Fowler 14666 of 1914 Scrapped - Ex-Babinda Mill.  This locomotive was plinthed at Babinda from 1961, but had apparently been scrapped by 1975.
2 0-4-2ST Fowler 15932 of 1923 Scrapped - Ex-Pleystowe Mill.  No.2 had been plinthed within Mackay Harbour Park, but unfortunately had been scrapped by 1971.  This June 1967 photo of No.2 is from the Don Moffat collection and is kindly provided by Glen Hall of the Mackay Historical Society and Museum Inc.  Glen has also submitted a second photo from the Don Moffat collection, which shows No.2 at Mackay Harbour Park in January 1968.
Ivy Photo required 0-4-2T+T Fowler 15947 of 1922 Workshop Hunter Valley, NSW Ex-Mossman Mill (north of Cairns). Privately owned. This locomotive was reported as being at Wonga Beach (near Mossman), partially dismantled and available for sale as at August 2004.   It has apparently since been sold to a private individual in the Hunter Valley.
11 Refer QR B9 1/2 class No.11
Coolum 0-6-0T Fowler 16036 of 1923 Display Eudlo (near Nambour) Ex-Moreton Mill, Nambour. Privately owned. Displayed on private property. (13)  Photo courtesy of John Hurst; date July 1978, caption: Coolum preserved at The Big Pineapple.
Alison 0-6-2T Fowler 16194 of 1924 Stored ANGRMS, Woodford Ex-Farleigh Mill, but originally used on a Qld timber tramway. Last used in the early 1960's and donated to ANGRMS in 1972. (38) Alison is seen here in storage at ANGRMS on 12 April 2003. (1) Refer also to the ANGRMS web page for Alison
Eudlo 0-6-0T Fowler 16207 of 1923 Plinthed Nambour Museum Ex-Moreton Mill, Nambour. Eudlo had been plinthed outside the mill at Nambour (13) but has since been moved a short distance to the yard at the rear of local historical museum, as seen in this photo of 30 January 2004.
Rocky Point 0-4-0WT Fowler 16249 of 1925 Display Rocky Point Ex-Rocky Point Mill. This interesting little loco had been displayed at Gilltraps Auto Museum, Kirra during the 1970's, and later at Dreamworld, Coomera in the 1980's.  Fowler 16249 finally returned to Rocky Point in 2002 where it has since been thoroughly restored for static display.
4 Photo required 0-4-2T Fowler 16339 of 1925 Workshop Daylesford, Victoria Ex Tully Mill.  nb.This locomotive has also been reported as B/N 16340 of 1924. (7)  In preservation this locomotive was originally destined for the Goulburn Steam Museum but was instead sent to the Lachlan Vintage Village (LVV) at Forbes, circa 1974, where they eventually restored it to working order. The LVV subsequently closed its railway and auctioned off their equipment in 1986/7, and the Fowler was purchased by the then management of Goulburn Steam Museum together with two carriages, taken to Goulburn and rebuilt. It was reported in 1997 as under restoration at the Marsden Weir Steam Museum, Goulburn, NSW, and apparently worked there or several years (72) but the tourist railway at this site had been removed at my visit in 2003.  This loco was apparently sold to a Victorian enthusiast for private preservation and is located at Daylesford. UPDATE: Light Railways magazine of February 2011 (Number 217) included a photograph and report of this locomotive under repair at Daylesford sawmill.
5 0-4-2T Fowler 16341 of 1924 Stored Echuca, Victoria Ex-Tully Mill. This locomotive was located at the Lachlan Vintage Village, Forbes, NSW in the late 1970s.   It is now privately owned and stored at private site near Echuca, as seen in this photo of 23 March 2005.
1 0-4-2 Fowler 17693 of 1927 Stored Virginia ex-Racecourse Mill, Mackay. This loco had been plinthed (without its tender) in a park at Mackay Outer Harbour, but was later acquired by a private owner and stored at Kallangur / Murrumba Downs as seen in this photo dated 12 April 2003. The original tender also still exists but is privately owned by a second party and kept in the vicinity of Marian Mill (34) as seen in this photo dated March 2006 which is kindly provided by Brett Geraghty.  UPDATE: The Murrumba Downs / Kallangur site was sold and cleared in 2007.  This locomotive was sold at that time and is currently at a private site at Virginia. (81)
10 0-4-2T Fowler 17881 of 1928 Operational Timbertown Heritage Railway, Wauchope, NSW Ex-South Johnstone Mill.  No.10 can be seen in operation at the Timbertown Heritage Railway, where it hauls visitors around a 2km loop track surrounding the Timbertown heritage park.
Petrie 0-4-2T Fowler 19930 of 1933 Stored Echuca, Vic

Ex-Moreton Mill, Nambour.  This locomotive was ordered by the Queensland Machinery Co. for Babinda Central Sugar Mill.  It operated as No.6 at the Babinda Co-operative Central Mill Society Ltd., Queensland.  From 1959 it operated as No.6 'Petrie' at the Moreton Central Sugar Co. Ltd., Nambour, Queensland, where it was out of use 1967.  Petrie was initially preserved at Cox's Museum, Maroochydore, Queensland in 1970.  It was later at the Suncoast Pioneer Museum, Mudjimba Beach, Qld. In 1985 Petrie had a further change of ownership and it is now privately owned at stored at a private site near Echuca, Victoria.  (66)  This photo is kindly provided by Anthony Winstone and shows Petrie stored at the Maroochydore Pioneer Village in 1981.  Here is a more recent photo which shows Petrie in store at Echuca on 23 March 2005.

4 Nelson 0-4-2T Fowler 20273 of 1934 Stored, Operational Mulgrave Mill, Gordonvale Ex-Mulgrave Mill, Gordonvale (south of Cairns). No. 4 'Nelson' had been plinthed within a park at Nelson until retrieved for restoration and operation on 'The Mulgrave Rambler', a tourist train that operated from the Mulgrave Mill museum and visitor's centre along cane tramway routes.  Unfortunately the Mulgrave Rambler has been discontinued in recent times.  No. 4 Nelson is normally stored in a shed within the Mulgrave Mill yard.  This photo (a screen capture from a video) is kindly provided by Matt Fenn and shows Nelson during an outing in October 2003.  It appears that Nelson has been heavily modified at some stage from a tank loco into a tender configuration.
Miallo 0-4-2T Fowler 20276 of 1934 Stored ANGRMS, Woodford Ex-Mossman Mill. Miallo was under overhaul in 1964 when laid aside (38) , which perhaps explains why it is somewhat incomplete. (1) It was purchased by ANGRMS in 1973, and has been stored at Woodford (as seen in this photo of 12 April 2003) since 1983.  Refer also to the ANGRMS web page for Miallo.
( - ) Photo required 0-4-2T Fowler 20277 of 1934 ? Mirani? (West of Mackay) Ex-Marian Mill.  Privately owned; status unknown. Further information and photo welcome.
Moreland - 0-4-2T Fowler 20284 of 1935 Scrapped? ? Ex-Qunaba Mill, Bundaberg. Was privately owned. Thought to have been scrapped at St Mary's NSW about 1991.
Airdmillan 0-6-2T Fowler 20763 of 1935 Stored ANGRMS, Woodford Ex-Kalamia Mill. Airdmillan was one of the last steam locomotive built by John Fowler & Co. before their switch to building diesel and petrol locomotives. Airdmillan was plinthed in the mill yard at Kalamia in 1962 and acquired in poor condition by ANGRMS in 1975. (38) It remains stored at Woodford as seen in this photo of 12 April 2003. (1) Refer also to the ANGRMS web page for Airdmillan.
8 - 0-6-2T Fowler 20764 of 1935 Scrapped - Ex-Pleystowe Mill. Was plinthed at Bucasia,  Apparently scrapped in 1977.
5 - 0-4-2T Fowler 22758 of 1938 Stored ANGRMS Woodford Ex-South Johnstone Mill.  (22758 of 1938) is the same loco as Hudswell Clarke 1705 of 1938 (dual b/no allocated). (13)
Bundaberg-Fowler, Bundaberg Foundry Co Ltd, Qld
2' Gauge
4 Jumbo 0-6-2T Bundaberg Fowler 1 of 1952 Stored Bundaberg Steam Tramway Preservation Society (Bundaberg Botanic Gardens) Following the withdrawal of John Fowler & Co, Leeds, UK from steam locomotive manufacture, the Bundaberg Foundry obtained a licence to build Fowler-designed locos in Australia to meet the demand from the local sugar cane industry. These Bundaberg-Fowler locos were some of the last steam locomotives built in Australia and also amongst the last sugar locomotives in operation in Australia.  It is interesting to note that all 8 Bundaberg-Fowler steam locomotives are now preserved. (1)  No.4 Jumbo was last used at Qunaba Mill, Bundaberg and withdrawn in 1980. The loco was owned by Bundaberg Sugar and plinthed at the Bundaberg Rum Distillery until 2002, when donated to BSTPS for restoration to operation. The loco was moved to the BSTPS depot in Bundaberg Botanic gardens on 1/2/02. (21)   Ross Driver has kindly provided this photo of No.4 Jumbo leading No.3 Skipper working hard double heading a load of cane up Johnson's Hill into Qunaba Mill circa 1977.  Ross has also provided this 1974 photo of No.4 Jumbo waiting in a loop for another cane train to pass; Ross is driving No.4 while his younger brother is the driver of the approaching train.
Bundy 0-6-2T Bundaberg Fowler 2 of 1952 Operational Bally Hooley Steam Train, Port Douglas Ex-Mossman Mill (north of Cairns). Bundy is now used on the 'Ballyhooley Commuter' tourist train at Mossman Mill, Port Douglas. This photo is kindly provided by Matt Fenn and shows Speedy (and sister Bundy) at Port Douglas on 19 February 2005, and also doubleheading with sister Speedy
3 Nipper 0-4-2T Bundaberg Fowler 3 of 1952 Operational Bundaberg Steam Tramway Preservation Society (Bundaberg Botanic Gardens) ex-Mourilyan Mill (No.8), then Millaquin Mill (No.8) and finally Qunaba Mill, Bundaberg where the loco was named 'Nipper' and retired in 1979. Nipper is the only 0-4-2T among the 8 Bundaberg Fowler products; all others were 0-6-2T however Nipper has the same boiler design as her 0-6-2T sisters. Nipper was donated to the BSTPS in 1981 and restored to operation in 1988. A new firebox and tubes were built and fitted by the Bundaberg Foundry in 1991. (63)  Nipper is preserved operational by the BSTPS and hauls tourist trains around the Bundaberg Botanic Gardens, as seen in this photo of 26 December 2004.
Ralf 0-6-2T Bundaberg Fowler 4 of 1952 Workshop Echuca, Vic. Ex-Bingera Mill.  "Ralf' had been preserved operational at the Lachlan Vintage Village, Forbes during the 1970's. It is now privately owned and kept at a private location near Echuca, Vic where it is under restoration to operation as seen in this photo of 23 March 2005.
5 0-6-2T Bundaberg Fowler 5 of 1952 Operational ANGRMS, Woodford Ex-Pleystowe Mill. Bundy-Fowler No. 5 was donated to ANGRMS in 1971 and has since been a regular performer on their Durundur Railway at Woodford.  It has also had some interesting travels to other mills for special events and historical festivals.
5 Dobbin / Speedy 0-6-2T Bundaberg Fowler 6 of 1952 Operational Bally Hooley Steam Train, Port Douglas This locomotive was purchased new from Bundaberg Foundry by Millaquin Mill, but was later transferred to Qunaba Mill, Bundaberg where it was named "Dobbin" by driver Russell Francis. (65)  The loco was purchased from Millaquin Sugar Co. in 1981 to work the Ballyhooley Commuter at Mossman Mill, where it was apparently named 'Speedy'.  This photo is kindly provided by Matt Fenn and shows Speedy in steam at Port Douglas on 2 January 2005.  Ross Driver has also provided this photo of Dobbin in steam at Millaquin Mill in 1977.
Kolan / Count Strzelecki 0-6-2T Bundaberg Fowler 7 of 1953 Operational Coal Creek Museum, Korumburra, Vic. Ex-Bingera Mill. Photo courtesy of John O'Neill, showing "Count Strzelecki" / Bundaberg Fowler No.7 at Coal Creek Top Station (now named Ruddville Station).
8 0-6-2T Bundaberg Fowler 8 of 1953 Stored dismantled Narangba Ex-Proserpine Mill. No.8 had been under restoration in the 1980's as an apprentice training project at a Queensland sugar mill, but the project was abandoned when the loco was fully dismantled due to an industry downturn.  The dismantled components of No.8 were later privately purchased and are now stored at Narangba.
Perry Engineering Co Ltd, Adelaide
2' Gauge
Carstairs 0-6-2T Perry 9351.34.1 of 1934 Display Home Hill Ex-Inkerman Mill, Home Hill. Privately owned; refer to the Carstairs page for more information.
Chiverton 0-6-2T Perry 6776.38.1 of 1938 Workshop Loftus, NSW Ex-Kalamia Mill.  'Chiverton' had been plinthed at Ayr prior to being obtained for private preservation.  It is now under restoration at a private location in Loftus, as seen in this photo pf 8 January 2006.  A new pair of side tanks have been fabricated for this loco and await fitting.
8 Photo required 0-6-2T Perry 8403.39.1 of 1939 Privately owned

Romsey,

Victoria

Proserpine Mill No. 8 was purchased privately in 1974, together with Thomas Green 0-4-2ST “Tilly” (219 of 1895). They were in private preservation at Strathewen, Victoria, in 1975 and it is understood that they have since been relocated to Romsey, Victoria.  (Contributions of further information or photographs are welcome.)
Adelaide 0-4-2T Perry 8967.39.1 of 1939 Operational Bennett Brook Railway, Whiteman Park, WA Ex-Inkerman Mill, Home Hill.  'Adelaide' is now named Betty Thompson and numbered 'BT1'. (14) This photograph is kindly provided by Stuart Jackson, and shows BT1 in operation at the Bennett Brook Railway during 'Thomas the Tank Engine day' on 19 May 2002.
6 0-6-2T Perry 2382.41.1 of 1941 Workshop Lake Macquarie Light Railway, Toronto, NSW Ex-North Eton Mill. (4)  No.6 had been privately owned and occasionally steamed at a site in the Megalong Valley, near Blackheath, NSW. No.6 was purchased by a new private owner and moved to Toronto on 17 August 2001 together with sister Perry B/N 6634.52.1 of 1952. (11)  This photo is kindly provided by Geoff Horne and shows No.6 in storage at Toronto in December 2004. UPDATE: The LMLR Website shows that No.6 is now under restoration to operation.
9 0-4-2T Perry 9737.45.1 of 1945 Operational Gisborne Steam Park, Victoria This locomotive was built for the South Johnstone Sugar Mill where it operated as No.6.  It later became No.9 at the Bundaberg Sugar Company's Millaquin Mill, where the brass number '6' was simply turned upside-down.  It was retired from sugar cane haulage in 1974 and used as a stationary boiler in 1975.  In 1981 it was sold to the Essendon Steam & Oil Engine Society in Victoria.  In 1990 it was donated to the Gisborne steam club, who completed its restoration to operation in 1994.  (67)  Today it operates over a 100m stretch of track at the Gisborne steam club, as seen in this photo of 26 March 2005.  (The Gisborne steam club are planning to extend their track around a nearby wetland to provide a longer running circuit.)
2 Skipper 0-6-2T Perry 1850.46.1 of 1946 Display National Railway Museum, Adelaide, SA Ex-Qunaba Mill, Bundaberg and earlier Millaquin Mill, Bundaberg. This locomotive is preserved at the National Railway Museum, Adelaide in recognition that its builder Perry Engineering was based in Adelaide. 'Skipper' had been displayed for several years loaded onto a flatcar within the 'goods shed' portion of the NRM, but in 2003 it was repainted and placed on display at the entrance to the NRM.  The Queensland Rail Heritage website includes a page for Skipper.  This photo is kindly provided by Ross Driver and shows No.2 'Skipper' doubleheading No.3 'Flash' at Qunaba Mill in 1976 as they work hard uphill with a load of sugar cane.  The driver on Skipper was Dennis Eadey and the driver on Flash was (Blue) Ray Gilbert. (65)
3 Flash 0-6-2T Perry 6160.48.1 of 1948 Display The Workshops, Ipswich Ex-Qunaba Mill, Bundaberg.  No.3 'Flash' had been in store at the Queensland Museum, Brisbane until moved to the new Ipswich Railway Workshops Museum on 25/9/2001.  It is now displayed within the exhibits hall.
R. D. Rex 0-4-2T Perry 7650.49.1 of 1949 Stored ANGRMS, Woodford Ex-Douglas Shire Tramway, later taken over by Mossman Mill.  R. D Rex had been plinthed at Mossman from approx 1961 until donated to ANGRMS in 1975 and later stored at Woodford. Refer also to the ANGRMS web page for R. D. Rex.
6 Tully 0-6-2T Perry 7967.49.1 of 1949 Operational ILRMS, Albion Park, NSW Ex-Tully Mill.  No. 6 'Tully' was plinthed at Tully from 1960 to 1972, when sold and transferred to NSW for restoration. This photo shows No.6 'Tully' at the ILRMS in October 2002.
7 0-6-2T Perry 7967.50.3 of 1950 Operational

Heyfield,

Victoria

Ex-Babinda Mill.  No. 7 is apparently privately owned and has been in Victoria since the 1970's. She has been restored to operation in an attractive blue livery as seen in this photograph (kindly provided by John O'Neill) which shows No.7 in operation at a traction engine rally in Heyfield, Victoria in May 2003.
1 Delta 0-6-2T Perry 7967.50.4 of 1950 Overhaul Puffing Billy Museum, Menzies Creek, Vic. Ex-Qunaba Mill, Bundaberg.  Qunaba Mill No.1 is now an exhibit at the Puffing Billy Preservation Society's museum at Menzies Creek.  My visit of October 2002 found No.1 Delta under overhaul.
( - ) 0-6-2T Perry 2601.51.1 of 1951 Workshop Bennett Brook Railway, Whiteman Park, WA Ex-Marian Mill. This locomotive arrived at the Bennett Brook Railway in WA on 24/6/09 following a change of ownership, and is now under overhaul prior to an expected return to service in 2010.  It had previously been operational for many years at "Melaleuca Station", Chinderah, NSW, a railway-themed roadside attraction featuring local produce, a picnic ground with farmyard animals, and a steam train ride through the gardens. (Chinderah is north of Murwilllumbah on the Pacific Highway, near the Queensland border.) This photo of 1 February 2004 shows Perry 2601.51.1 awaiting its next steaming at Melaleuca Station.
7 0-4-2T Perry 2714.51.1 of 1951 Stored Lake Macquarie Light Railway, Toronto, NSW Ex-Mourilyan Mill.  This locomotive is privately owned and had been leased to the Bulahdelah Logging Railway from 1987 to 1996.  It was then brought to Thirlmere and overhauled in the NSWRTM workshops over a two-year period.  The loco was repainted, given a couple of test runs (the workshop has a section of dual-gauge track) and then 'stored serviceable' under a tarpaulin in the workshop area of NSWRTM, Thirlmere. (72)  The feature photo (and this side view) are kindly provided by Bruce Belbin and show the loco in steam at the NSWRTM.
Perry / 5 0-6-2T Perry 5643.51.1 of 1951 Operational Dreamworld (Theme Park), Coomera Ex-Bingera Mill.  This locomotive was part of the collection at the Goulburn Museum of Historic Engines in the 1970's, but in more recent years has been operational at the Dreamworld Railway at Coomera on the Gold Coast, Qld, where it has been somewhat 'Americanised'.  This photograph is kindly provided by Mark Gough and shows No 5 at the head of a train of toastrack carriages on the Dreamworld Railway on 14 December 2001.
7 0-6-2T Perry 6634.52.1 of 1952 Operational Lake Macquarie Light Railway, Toronto, NSW Ex-North Eton Mill. (4) No.7 had been privately owned (but never steamed) at a site in the Megalong Valley, near Blackheath, NSW.  No.7 was subsequently purchased by a new private owner and moved to Toronto on 17 August 2001, together with sister loco Perry B/N 2382.41.1 of 1941. (11)  This photo is kindly provided by Geoff Horne and shows No.7 in steam at Toronto during June 2005.
Andrew Barclay Sons & Co, Kilmarnock, Scotland
2' Gauge
( - ) 0-4-0T Barclay 1419 of 1915 Stored, Dismantled Echuca, Vic Ex-Qunaba Mill, Bundaberg.  This locomotive appears to have been plinthed at some stage.  It is now privately owned and stored dismantled at private site near Echuca, as seen in this photo of 23 March 2005.  The boiler and other components were stored nearby; the owner advised that the boiler is beyond restoration, however this Baldwin boiler has been obtained to provide a replacement.
Decauville, France
2' Gauge
Frenchy 0-4-2T Decauville 246 of 1897 Workshop Bredgar & Wormshill Light Railway, Kent, UK Ex-Qunaba Mill, Bundaberg.  "Frenchy" was in private ownership at Moama, NSW before being sold and exported to the UK in 1996 for private preservation.  Frenchy has since been fully restored in the UK and returned to steam in late 2006; a photo and history for this engine appears on the B&WLR website.  Apparently the locomotive now wears the number 7 and nameplate "Victory".  Alan Crotty has kindly provided this photo showing Decauville 246 / Frenchy hauling a goods train at Warren Wood, B&WLR on Sunday 3rd June 2007.  Alan has also provided this second photo showing Frenchy at Bredgar (Warren Wood); next to the engine is David Best, and on the footplate is Tony Baker who was involved with the restoration.  (Copyright for both photos remains with Alan Crotty.)
7 0-4-2T Decauville 247 of 1897 Stored ANGRMS, Woodford Ex-Invicta Mill, Giru, and earlier Mulgrave Mill. No. 7 had been plinthed in a park in Giru until donated to ANGRMS in 1981. (38)  This small locomotive has an interesting history, as discussed on the ANGRMS web page for No. 7.  This photo shows No.7 in storage at Woodford on 12 April 2003.
( - ) Photo required 0-4-0T Decauville 399 of 1900 Buried! Millaquin Mill (near Bundaberg) Boiler exhumed during January 2000; frames believed buried nearby.  Had been used in a Fijian sugar mill before imported to Australia second-hand in 1923, but never used. It was buried at Millaquin mill in 1937 after lying in storage.
9 Photo required 0-4-2T Decauville 454 of 1906 ? Tynong North, Victoria Ex-Mulgrave Mill, Gordonvale.  Privately owned. Further information and photo are welcome.
Hudswell Clarke & Co Ltd, Leeds, England
2' Gauge
1 0-6-0ST Hudswell Clarke 496 of 1898 ? Echuca, Vic. Ex-North Eton Mill No.1.  This locomotive had been plinthed in a park at Port Curtis Junction, Rockhampton.  It is now privately owned and kept at a site in Echuca, Victoria.
2 0-6-0ST Hudswell Clarke 853 of 1908 Stored Narangba ex-North Eton Mill. Privately owned. No.2 was apparently built as a 0-4-2ST but converted to 0-6-0ST via modification to the rear frames (34), which are seen here in storage at Kallangur on 12 April 2003. The boiler and saddletank are also stored nearby, although the saddletank requires replacement. (1)  UPDATE: This locomotive was moved from Kallangur / Murrumba Downs to Narangba in 2007. (81)
Homebush 0-6-0 Hudswell Clarke 1067 of 1914 Operational Victoria Mill, Ingham Ex-Victoria Mill, Ingham.  Homebush is preserved operational at the Victoria Mill, Ingham, where it occasionally hauls a small passenger train around the mill railway system.  Between use, Homebush and its train of two historical toastrack cars are displayed under a weather roof on a siding at the mill entrance.
Maroochy 0-4-2T Hudswell Clarke 1078 of 1914 Stored Unknown Ex-Moreton Mill, Nambour.  Maroochy had been kept at Gilltraps Auto Museum, Kirra in the 1970's. (7) It subsequently moved to Murrumba Downs / Kallangur where it was privately owned and stored partially dismantled, as seen in this photo of 12 April 2003. The owner tells me that Maroochy is beyond repair. (34)  Here is an earlier photo showing Maroochy before it was dismantled.  UPDATE: The Murrumba Downs / Kallangur site was sold and cleared in 2007 and I understand Maroochy has been sold. (81)  Further information is welcome.
7 0-6-0 Hudswell Clarke 1098 of 1915 Workshop Alexandra Timber Tramway, Vic Ex-Gin Gin Mill, Wallaville.  No.7 was operational at Goulburn Museum of Historic Engines in the 1970's.  It is now dismantled for overhaul at the Alexandra Timber Tramway & Museum.
Townsville 0-6-0 Hudswell Clarke 1099 of 1915 Display Australian Sugar Heritage Centre, Mourilyan Ex-Victoria Mill, Ingham.  Townsville was donated by CSR for preservation in 1977 and is now displayed at the Australian Sugar Heritage Centre at Mourilyan.  This museum is well worth a visit with a variety of exhibits and resources highlighting the technical, social and economic history of the Australian Sugar Industry and its contribution to regional development.
6 Pyramid 0-6-0T Hudswell Clarke 1521 of 1924 Stored ANGRMS, Woodford Ex-Mulgrave Mill, Gordonvale.  Pyramid was retired in 1955 and plinthed at Mareeba in 1959 until donated to ANGRMS in 1976. (38) Refer also to the ANGRMS web page for Pyramid
5 0-6-0 Hudswell Clarke 1548 of 1924 Stored Echuca, Victoria Ex-Macknade Mill. Privately owned. This loco had been owned by the Van Diemen Light Railway Society and displayed at their museum in Don, Tasmania during the 1980's and 1990's.  In approximately 1998 it was sold to a private owner and moved to a private site near Echuca and placed into storage, as seen in this photo of 23 March 2005. (1)
4 0-6-0 Hudswell Clarke 1549 / 1552 of 1924 Plinthed Hambledon Gardens, Cairns Ex-Hambledon Mill, Edmonton.  Hambledon Mill No.4 is displayed under a weather roof at Hambledon Gardens (Sugarworld Gardens), near to the site of the former Hambledon Mill.
4 Photo required 0-6-0 Hudswell Clarke 1553 of 1924 Workshop Alambi Private Railway, Strath Creek, Vic. Ex-Macknade Mill, where it carried No.4. This locomotive is being restored to operation; refer to the Hudswell Clarke 1553 page.
6 0-6-0

(0-6-0T)

Hudswell Clarke 1555 of 1925 Operational Alambi Private Railway, Strath Creek, Vic. Ex-Goondi Mill, Innisfail where it carried No. 6.  This locomotive was built as a 0-6-0 tender engine but has been restored to operation in a 0-6-0T configuration; refer to the Hudswell Clarke 1555 page.
4 0-4-2ST Hudswell Clarke 1559 of 1925 Display Puffing Billy Museum, Menzies Creek, Vic Ex-Pleystowe Mill.  No. 4 is displayed at the Puffing Billy Preservation Society's museum at Menzies Creek.
1 Photo required 0-6-0 Hudswell Clarke 1653 of 1934 Stored Jungara (near Cairns) Ex-Macknade Mill.  Was at Ingham.  Macknade Mill No.1 is now privately owned and kept at Jungara, near Cairns.
Melbourne 0-6-0 Hudswell Clarke 1701 of 1938 Operational ANGRMS, Woodford Ex-Victoria Mill, Ingham. Apparently rebuilt by Victoria Mill in 1956 using the boiler of B/N 1659 and frames of B/N 1701. (38) 'Melbourne' is now preserved operable at ANGRMS and is seen in this photo parked outside the locoshed at Woodford on 12 April 2003. Refer also to the ANGRMS web page for Melbourne.
5 0-4-2T Hudswell Clarke 1705 of 1938

(also Fowler 22752 of 1938)

Stored ANGRMS, Woodford Ex-South Johnstone Mill. This loco was ordered in 1938 from John Fowler & Co as similar to an earlier Fowler loco supplied to the mill, but Fowler were only building internal combustion locos by this date and so the plans were passed to Hudswell Clarke, who built the loco under licence. (38) This photo of 12 April 2003 shows No.5 in storage at ANGRMS, Woodford.  Refer also to the ANGRMS web page for No 5.
Cairns 0-6-0 Hudswell Clarke 1706 of 1939 Operational ILRMS, Albion Park, NSW Ex-Victoria Mill, Ingham.  Cairns is preserved as an operating exhibit by the Illawarra Light Railway & Museum Society at their Albion Park base.
Sydney 0-6-0 Hudswell Clarke 1838 of 1950 Stored Julatten Ex-Victoria Mill, Ingham.  Sydney had been operational on Bally Hooley tourist train duties at Mossman Mill during the 1990's.  Sydney is now privately owned and located at Julatten.
6 0-6-0 Hudswell Clarke 1862 of 1952 Awaiting overhaul Timbertown Heritage Railway, Wauchope, NSW Ex-Macknade Mill, near Ingham.  A plaque attached to No.6 reads  "This locomotive worked in Northern Queensland hauling sugar cane to the CSR Macknade Mill.  Donated by CSR to Timbertown-Wauchope for preservation 1977."
9 0-6-0 Hudswell Clarke 1863 of 1952 Operational Puffing Billy Museum, Menzies Creek, Vic. Ex-Macknade Mill.  No. 9 is displayed at the Puffing Billy Preservation Society's museum at Menzies Creek and is occasionally put into light steam for operation on the small section of 2' gauge railway at the museum site.
Avonside Engine Co Ltd, Bristol, England
2' Gauge
( - ) 0-4-0T Avonside 1909 of 1922 Stored Mackay Ex-Farleigh Mill.  This interesting locomotive had been plinthed at Farleigh Mill for many years, but is now privately owned.  It is stored undercover on private property in Mackay, as seen in this photograph of 25 March 2006 which is kindly provided by / copyright to Brett Geraghty.
Hunslet Engine Co Ltd, Leeds, England
2' Gauge
Seaforth 0-4-2T Hunslet 1026 of 1910 Stored Mackay Ex-Pleystowe Sugar Mill.  This locomotive had been plinthed at Pleystowe Mill before being sold in November 2003 to a private owner in Mackay. (Ref 52, pp.22) Seaforth is apparently now stored on private property in Mackay, and can be seen from the Bucasia Road, as seen in this March 2006 photograph which is kindly provided by / copyright to Brett Geraghty.
Torpedo 0-4-2T Hunslet 1187 of 1915 Operational Loftus, NSW Ex-Inkerman Mill, Home Hill.  'Torpedo' was at Bowen prior to being obtained for private preservation at Lotus. This locomotive was overhauled in 2002 including a full re-tube, new side tanks and added hungry boards for wood firing.  Here is an additional rear view of Torpedo at Loftus; both photos were taken on 8 January 2006.
314 Invicta 4-6-0T Hunslet 1215 of 1916 Display "Locomotion", Shildon, UK Ex-Invicta Mill, Giru.  This locomotive is one of 15 former British War Department 'Railway Operating Division' (ROD) Hunslet locomotives imported to the Australian sugar industry from war surplus stocks. (38) It had been numbered ROD 314 when in British Army service. "Invicta" had been in private ownership at Capalaba (Brisbane suburbs) but was sold to UK preservationists in late 2005 and exported. In early 2006 it went on display at "Locomotion", the UK's National Railway Museum outpost in Shildon. This photograph (a still from a video) is kindly provided by Murray Lawrence and shows ROD 314 / Invicta at Shildon on 11 May 2006.
306 4-6-0T Hunslet 1218 of 1916 Stored Australian War Memorial, Canberra, ACT Former ROD 306 and later used by Gin Gin Mill, Wallaville.  ROD306 had been privately preserved in an operational condition during the 1980's, and was later stored at Wee Waa, NSW until purchased in late 2001 by the Australian War Memorial, Canberra. ROD306 has since been statically restored at the AWM's Treloar technology centre and was placed on display at the AWM on 23 February 2004.  This photograph is kindly provided by David Bromage and shows ROD 306 at the AWM on 16 May 2004.  A complete history of this interesting loco is provided in Light Railways No. 175 (Ref 52, pp.7).
2 4-6-0T Hunslet 1229 of 1916 Stored ANGRMS, Woodford One of 2 ROD Hunslet locos delivered to Cattle Creek Mill, Finch Hatton. Withdrawn in 1963 and donated to ANGRMS in 1973. (38) This photo shows No.2 in storage at Woodford on 12 April 2003.  Refer also to the ANGRMS web page for No. 2.
4 4-6-0T Hunslet 1239 of 1917 Stored The Workshops, Ipswich Ex-North Eton Sugar Mill, and originally ROD 327.  This locomotive had been plinthed under a weather roof at Eton until 1997 when it was relocated to the old North Eton Mill site. During mid-2005 it was relocated to The Workshops museum at Ipswich.  Both this photo and a rear view were kindly provided by Mark Gough and show the locomotive stored at North Eton Mill site in approximately 1998.
Digger 4-6-0T Hunslet 1317 of 1918 Display Proserpine Historical Museum Society Ex-Proserpine Mill. Now displayed by the Proserpine Historical Museum Society; refer to the Digger page for further information.
Sharp Stewart & Co Ltd, Glasgow, Scotland
2' Gauge
9 / Tassie A Photo required Refer Tasmanian Government Railways G-class No.1 Ex-Isis Mill, Cordalba
10 / Tassie B Photo required Refer Tasmanian Government Railways G-class (second) No.2 Ex-Isis Mill, Cordalba
Dick Kerr & Co Ltd, Kilmarnock, Scotland
2' Gauge
3 0-4-2T Dick Kerr ? of 1910 Stored, Dismantled Echuca, Vic. Ex-Marian Mill.  This locomotive had been plinthed at one stage.  It is now privately owned and stored dismantled at private site near Echuca.  This photo of 23 March 2005 shows the frames being prepared for cleaning. The boiler and other components were stored nearby; the owner advised that the boiler was restorable.
Valdora 0-4-0ST Dick Kerr ? of ? Plinthed Nambour Ex-Moreton Mill, Nambour. Valdora is now plinthed at the local live steam association park, which is near the Nambour railway station but on the opposite side of the creek. Valdora is plinthed under a weather roof and caged; the cage can be opened for access and photography but was locked at the time of my photograph of 30 January 2004. (1)
The Baldwin Locomotive Works, USA
2' Gauge
1 0-4-2T Baldwin 10533 of 1889 Operational Lake Macquarie Light Railway, Toronto, NSW Ex-Fairymead Mill (near Bundaberg).  Refer to the Fairymead No.1 page for further information & photographs.
5 4-6-0 Baldwin 45215 of 1917 Operational Dreamworld, Coomera Ex-Racecourse Mill, Mackay. This loco was rebuilt to a tender loco by Reg Coulter in the mid to late 1970's in time for Dreamworld's opening in December 1981. The loco is now oil fired. (28) This photo is courtesy of Mark Gough and shows Baldwin 45215 at Dreamworld's main station.
4 / Felin Hen 2-6-2T Baldwin 46828 of 1917 Operational Tacot des Lacs, France Ex-Fairymead Mill (near Bundaberg).  This historic locomotive started life in World War 1 as 2-6-2T US Army Transport Corps (USATC) No. 5104. After the war it was sold to the Penrhyn slate quarries in North Wales, where the loco acquired the name 'Felin Hen' (meaning 'Old Mill' in Welsh). The loco was shipped to Brisbane in 1940 and converted to 2' gauge for use as No.4 at the Fairymead Mill, near Bundaberg. The loco was rebuilt to 0-6-2T in 1956 (26) by removing the front pony truck, which had often derailed on the Fairymead Mill system. New side tanks were also fitted. (63) Felin Hen was withdrawn 1965 and plinthed in a South Bundaberg park in 1969. It was later removed for restoration by the BSTPS and dismantled. (26) It was found to require extensive rebuilding and, following approaches by a French group around June 2002, the BSTPS sold the locomotive for restoration to its original WW1 form for operation in France.  (63)  Felin Hen arrived at a restoration site at Tacot des Lacs, France in July 2002. (26) This photo is kindly provided by Ross Driver and shows Felin Hen at Fairymead Mill in 1950, prior to conversion to a 0-6-2T. (Baldwin 10533 of 1899 is seen behind Felin Hen; this loco is also preserved and is listed above.)  Here is a further photo which shows Felin Hen in her later 0-6-2T configuration, hauling whole stick cane at Fairymead mill in the late 50's / early 60's.  UPDATE: By January 2011 the restoration was complete and Felin Hen was in operation in 2-6-2T form in France; photos are welcome!
Lima Locomotive Co, Lima, Ohio, USA
2' Gauge
Shay Shay A-type Lima 2091/2800 of 1908/1914 Display Nambour Museum In 1949 the best components of the two Mapleton Tramway Shays "Mapleton" and "Dulong" were combined to form one good locomotive for use at the Moreton Mill, Nambour.  The remaining locomotive became known as "Shay" at Nambour and lasted in service until 1960.  Fortunately it was saved for preservation and displayed at the entrance to Moreton Mill for many years.  After a period of storage at The Workshops railway museum, Ipswich, Shay has now returned to Nambour for display in the Nambour Museum.
Locomotivfabrik Krauss & Co, Munich, Germany
2' Gauge
Stella 0-6-0T Krauss 3423 of 1897 Workshop Echuca, Vic Ex-Gin Gin Mill, Wallaville.  Stella had been operable at the Goulburn Museum of Historic Engines in the 1970's. It is now privately owned and under overhaul at a private site at Echuca.
Moreton 0-6-0T Krauss 4687 of 1901 Operational (diesel)  Yandina (near Nambour) Ex-Moreton Mill, Nambour.  'Moreton' had been plinthed at Nambour from 1967, but was restored to operation in approx. 1988 - with propulsion provided by a diesel engine placed in a tender!  Moreton is now used in this form to haul tourists around the Buderim Ginger factory and tourist centre at Yandina, north of Brisbane, as seen in this photograph of 27 January 2004.
Archie Refer Archie, NSW Industrial Locomotives  (Burrinjuck Tramway).  Ex-Farleigh Mill
Jack Refer Jack, NSW Industrial Locomotives  (Burrinjuck Tramway).  Ex-Fairymead Mill
5 / Dulce Refer Dulce, NSW Industrial Locomotives  (Burrinjuck Tramway).  Ex-North Eton Mill.
( - ) Photo required 0-4-0WT Krauss 6611 of 1912 Stored Gymea, NSW Ex-Mount Bauple Central Mill.  Krauss 6611 was based at the Marsden Museum of Historic Engines, Goulburn NSW from June 1972 to 1975.  It is privately owned by a Sydney-based enthusiast / collector.
Krauss 0-6-2T Krauss 6854 of 1914 Display Buderim Palmwoods Heritage Tramway, Buderim Ex-Bingera Mill, and earlier the Buderim Tramway.  This engine was the largest Krauss-built loco to operate in Australia, and had been built as 2' 6" gauge but was later converted to 2' gauge. (34).  'Krauss' had been privately owned and stored at Kallangur (north of Brisbane) for many years, as seen in this photo of 12 April 2003. (1)  In October 2004 it was acquired by the Buderim Palmwoods Heritage Tramway Inc. for restoration and display at Wise's Farm, Buderim. (69, pp.27)  It is now being statically restored under a weather-roof at Wise's Farm, as seen in the feature photo and this second image which were kindly provided by Ken McHugh and dated 20 January 2007.  There is also a good information page for the Buderim Krauss on the Queensland's Rail Heritage website.
A. Borsig, Berlin-Tegel, Germany
2' Gauge
 3 'Robbie Burns' 4-4-2T Borsig 6345 of 1907 Stored ANGRMS, Woodford Ex-Cattle Creek Mill. This interesting locomotive was originally built as a 4-4-2 tender engine and used on a tin mining railway near Mareeba, inland from Cairns. It was purchased by the Cattle Creek Mill in 1942 and converted to a tank locomotive, but withdrawn in 1962 and later donated to ANGRMS in 1972 and stored at Woodford from 1983. Refer also to the ANGRMS web page for No. 3.
Orenstein & Koppel - Arthur Koppel AG, Berlin-Drewitz, Germany
2' Gauge
Germany 0-4-0WT O&K 6805 of 1914 Operational Bundaberg Steam Tramway Preservation Society (Bundaberg Botanic Gardens) Ex-Millaquin Mill, Bundaberg and later Qunaba Mill.  'Germany' had been plinthed in a Bundaberg park for about 30 years until acquired by the BSTPS in 1987.  Restoration of this interesting loco was completed in 1990 and Germany is now operated by the BSTPS hauling tourist trains around the Bundaberg Botanic Gardens.  This photo was taken by Brian Wilson and kindly provided by Ross Driver, and shows Germany departing the Botanic Gardens station in September 2004.
Locomotivfabrik Arnold Jung, Germany
2' Gauge
5 0-4-0WT Jung 1052 of 1906 Stored Narangba Ex-South Johnstone Mill.  Privately owned. After a number of users this loco became separated from its boiler (approx 1940's), with the frames and wheels ultimately dumped and then partially buried at Mossman.  After a period of static use, the boiler was cut up and partially scrapped (presumably for the tubes or firebox).  Many years later the current owner exhumed the frames, and retrieved the boiler remnants, which were later tack-welded together for display. The remnants are now stored at Kallangur, as seen in this photo of 12 April 2003.  Detailed engineering drawings for the missing components have proven difficult to locate as the Jung factory & all records were destroyed during WW2. (34)  UPDATE: This locomotive was moved from Kallangur / Murrumba Downs to Narangba in 2007. (81)
Thomas Green & Son Ltd, Leeds, England
2' Gauge
9 Tilly Photo required 0-4-2ST Green 219 of 1895 Privately owned

Romsey,

Victoria

Ex-Proserpine Mill. No.9 "Tilly" entered preservation in 1974 when it was privately purchased from Proserpine Mill, together with Perry 0-6-2T 8403.39.1 of 1939. They were in private preservation at Strathewen, Victoria, in 1975.  I understand that they have since been relocated to central Victoria.
J. A. Maffei AG, Munich, Germany
2' Gauge
15C Photo required 0-6-0WT Maffei 3677 of 1911 Stored Gymea Ex-Plane Creek Mill, Sarina.  Loco 15C was at the Marsden Museum of Historic Engines, Goulburn NSW in the 1970's.   I believe it is privately owned and now resides a site in the Sydney suburb of Gymea.
Builder Unknown
2' Gauge
3 Bunyip 0-6-0WT Built 1896 Unknown Gin Gin & District Historical Society Ex-Gin Gin Mill, Wallaville.  Bunyip is displayed under a weather roof at the Gin Gin & District museum, which is located at the disused Gin Gin railway station. There are no markings on the loco to identify the builder, however the locomotive appears to be a German design.