No. Photo Class Wheel Arrang't Builder's No & Year Status Location Notes & References
Midland Railway Company
3' 6" Gauge
6 B 4-4-0 Hawthorn Leslie 2217 of 1891 Displayed Walkaway B6 is the only surviving Midland Railway Co. steam locomotive.  It was withdrawn in 1956 and subsequently plinthed at Geraldton under the ownership of the City of Geraldton. In 1995 B6 was donated to the Swan Shire Council in Perth and moved to the Midland Workshops in 1999 under care of ARHS.  B6 is now displayed at Walkaway Station.
State Saw Mills
3' 6" Gauge
SSM 2 - 2-6-0 Beyer Peacock 5475 of 1911 Display Pemberton Tramway Co, Pemberton The WAGR G-class 2-6-0 design was popular with WA timber concerns, with many units obtained second hand. The South West Timber Hewer's Co-operative Society also settled on this design and ordered a new locomotive from Beyer Peacock & Co.  SSM 2 was withdrawn in 1967 and displayed at Manjimup for many years.  It was donated to the Pemberton Tramway Co. in 2002 and transferred to Pemberton in 2004.
SSM 7 This 2-6-0 tender locomotive was originally WAGR G 53.
Other Users
3' 6" Gauge
Ballaarat - 0-4-0 Victoria Foundry, Ballarat, built 1871 Plinthed Busselton This historic engine is the oldest surviving Australian-built steam locomotive and also the first steam locomotive used in Western Australia.  "Ballaarat" was built for a timber tramway near Yoganup, near Busselton.  It was severely damaged in a loco shed fire in 1900 and lay derelict for many years until preserved by Busselton Municipal Council.
Kia-Ora - 0-4-0ST Baldwin 7111 of 1884 Display Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth Kia-Ora travelled widely through Western Australia during its working career in a variety of timber, public works and jetty shunting roles for different owners.
Preston - 0-6-0ST Hudswell Clarke 379 of 1891 Display Wyndham Preston was one of 4 Hudswell Clarke locomotives (Builders Numbers 377 - 380) ordered by Edward Keane, railway construction contractor, for use building the Midland Railway in Western Australia. Its last user was the WA Government Meatworks at Wyndham.  Preston is now plinthed at Wyndham, together with an historic diesel locomotive.
Six-Wheeler - 0-6-0ST Hudswell Clarke 380 of 1891 Buried Marrawah tip, Tasmania A sister of "Preston" above, Hudswell Clarke B/N 380 finished its career at a Tasmanian timber mill.  It had been plinthed outside the Marrawah Hall, Tasmania until dumped in the local tip in 1976.
- - 0-4-0WT Orenstein & Koppel 4058 of 1910 Plinthed Carnarvon Jetty & Light Railway The surviving portions of Orenstein & Koppel No.4058 are plinthed outside the depot of the Carnarvon Jetty & Light Railway.
Kimberley - 0-4-0T Andrew Barclay 1755 of 1921 Operational Carnarvon Jetty & Light Railway Kimberley had formerly worked on the Canarvon pier railway until retired and plinthed in a local kindergarten playground.  It has since been restored to operation at Canarvon.
Polly - 2-2-0WT Aveling & Porter B/No.? of 1880? Plinthed Collie Polly is an interesting hybrid locomotive, representing an Aveling and Porter traction engine which has been modified for rail use with a resulting 2-2-0 wheel configuration.
Snorting Liz - 2-2-0WT Ransome, Sims & Jeffries Plinthed Wilga Snorting Liz was built by Ransome, Sims & Jeffries as a conventional traction engine.  Apparently it was found to be useless in timber industry work on the wet forest floor and so was converted into a 2-2-0WT railway locomotive by the addition of flanged wheels.
Kate - 0-4-0WT Thomas Green & Co 132 of 1889 Plinthed Margaret River Kate has been plinthed at Margaret River for many years.  It received a thorough cosmetic restoration at Boyanup in 2001, including the removal of old asbestos boiler lagging.
( - ) - 0-4-0T Replica built in 2006 Operational Yarloop Steam Workshops, Yarloop, WA This interesting locomotive is an outline replica of a Sydney steam tram, built to 3' 6" gauge rather than the 4' 8.5" gauge of Sydney's original Baldwin steam trams.
Other Users
2' Gauge
118 NG15 2-8-2 Henschel 24476 of 1938 Workshop Bennett Brook Railway, Whiteman Park No.118 is an ex-South African Railways NG15 class locomotive which was imported to Australia in 1985. Following restoration it entered service at the Bennett Brook Railway on 15th October 1994, and continued in use until 2003 when withdrawn for overhaul.
123 NG15 2-8-2 Franco-Belge 2670 of 1949 Operational Bennett Brook Railway, Whiteman Park No.123 is an ex-South African Railways NG15 class locomotive which was imported to Australia in 1985.  No.123 entered service on the Bennett Brook Railway on 21September 1986 and worked until 1995 when it was withdrawn from service.  After a 12 year gap, No.123 returned to service on 10th May 2007 following an overhaul.
( - ) - 0-6-0T Orenstein & Koppel 4241 of 1910 Stored Wee Georgie Wood Steam Railway Inc. Tullah

The Lake View & Star Gold Mines Pty Ltd operated a one-mile tramway for transporting gold ore using two 0-6-0T locomotives supplied by Orenstein & Koppel in 1910.  Orenstein & Koppel B/No. 4241 was out of service at the Great Boulder Mines by 1962.  In preservation it has moved from location to location and had been under conversion to 3' 6" gauge.

( - ) - 0-6-0T Orenstein & Koppel 4242 of 1910 Display Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth The sister of Orenstein & Koppel 4241 of 1910 (above), Orenstein & Koppel B/No. 4242 was out of service by 1960 and donated to the Australian Railway Historical Society for display at the excellent railway museum at Bassendean.
( - ) - 0-4-0T Haine St. Pierre 491 of 1894 Plinthed Meekatharra This interesting little 0-4-0T locomotive came from Haine Saint Pierre and is only locomotive from this Belgian builder remaining in Australia.  It was last used by the Peak Hill Gold Mines and apparently sat abandoned at Peak Hill for many years, having been stripped of all non-ferrous fittings.  HSP 491 was eventually retrieved for display and is now plinthed in the main street of Meekatharra.
Other Users
1' 8" Gauge
( - ) - 0-4-0WT Freudenstein 175 of 1904 Display Railway Museum, Bassendean, Perth This locomotive worked at the Golden Ridge gold mine in Kalgoorlie, and was later owned by the Western Machinery Company, Kalgoorlie. Freudenstein b/n 175 was handed over to the Australian Railway Historical Society for preservation in 1963.
( - ) (Photo required) - 0-4-0WT Freudenstein 217 of 1905 Operational Yass, NSW Together with sister Freudenstein B/N 175 (above), this locomotive worked at the Golden Ridge gold mine in Kalgoorlie.  Freudenstein B/N 217 was acquired by a private owner and regauged from 1 8" to 2" gauge during its restoration.  It ran from 1989 at the Bennett Brook Railway.  "Golden Ridge" was sold to private owner in NSW in 1993 and now operates on his 2km private railway on a rural property near Yass.
Midland - 0-6-2T WAGR, built 1934 Display Gwalia

The Sons Of Gwalia Gold Mine operated a lengthy tramway to supply wood to their mining operations at Gwalia, north of Kalgoorlie.  "Midland" is  displayed at the old Sons of Gwalia Gold Mine historical site.

Other Users
4' 8.5" Gauge
4079 Pendennis Castle Castle 4-6-0 Great Western Railway (UK) - Swindon, built 1924  Workshop Great Western Society, Didcot Railway Centre, Didcot, UK Ex-Great Western Railway, UK.  This famous locomotive was maintained by the Pilbara Railways Historical Society and operated on Hammersley Iron's railway system in Western Australia's from 1977 to 1999; refer to the 4079 Pendennis Castle page for further information.