No. Photo Class Wheel Arrang't Builder's No. & Year Status Location Notes & References
3' 6" Gauge
A4 A 4-4-0 Beyer Peacock 3392 of 1892 Workshop Don River Railway, Don A4 is one of 8 A-class express passenger locomotives.  A4 was selected by TGR to haul four royal trains.   It spent 30 year plinthed in a Launceston Park prior to being acquired by the Don River Railway for restoration to operation, which is proceeding within their workshops.
C1 C 2-6-0 Beyer Peacock 2509 of 1885 Display West Coast Pioneers Memorial Museum, Zeehan C1 is the first of 27 original members of this class supplied by Beyer Peacock and Co. for goods train working; a 28th class member was later acquired secondhand. This Beyer Peacock design found buyers in many Australian states; similar locos include the SAR Y-class and the WAGR G-class locos.  Some members of the TGR C-class were modified and rebuilt to the CC and CCS classes C1 is displayed as a static exhibit at the excellent West Coast Pioneers Memorial Museum at Zeehan.
C22 C 2-6-0 Beyer Peacock 4414 of 1902 Operational Tasmanian Transport Museum, Glenorchy, Hobart C22 is the most original of the preserved TGR C-class, retaining its original sloping smokebox front.  C22 was first restored to working order in 1983 and is maintained as an operating exhibit at the Tasmanian Transport Museum.
CCS23 CCS 2-6-0 Beyer Peacock 4415 of 1902 Workshop Don River Railway, Don CCS23 is a rebuild of C-class loco 23, one of four such 'CCS class' locos rebuilt by the Tasmanian Government Railways between 1924 and 1928 with Belpaire boilers, Walschaerts valve gear and new cylinders.  CCS23 is normally an operating exhibit at the Don River Railway but is currently under overhaul.
CCS25 CCS 2-6-0 Beyer Peacock 4417 of 1902 Operational Don River Railway, Don CCS25 is a rebuild of C-class loco 25, one of four such 'CCS class' locos rebuilt by the Tasmanian Government Railways between 1924 and 1928 with Belpaire boilers, Walschaerts valve gear and new cylinders.
DS8 DS 2-6-4T A & G Price   4 of 1904 Boiler only Don River Railway, Don The TGR purchased 8 members of the New Zealand Railways WF class for use on suburban and trip working.  All that survives in Tasmania is this boiler from DS 8, although three WF class locomotives survive in New Zealand.
E1 E 4-6-0 Beyer Peacock 4967 of 1907 Plinthed Deloraine E1 is the survivor of two handsome and well-proportioned locomotives built by Beyer-Peacock & Co for heavy freight working.  E1 has been plinthed at Deloraine since 1971.
Q5 Q 4-8-2 Perry 241 of 1923 Display Tasmanian Transport Museum, Glenorchy, Hobart Q5 was retired in 1962 and is now displayed in unlined black livery at the TTM, Glenorchy.
ASG ASG 4-8-2 + 2-8-4 Various Boiler only Various The Australian Standard Garratt (ASG) was designed by the Commonwealth Land Transport Board in 1942 in response to the urgent wartime need for powerful locomotives for the nations 3' 6" gauge railways.  While none survive in Tasmania, an interesting remnant can be found at the Derwent Valley Railway's New Norfolk depot in the form of an ASG boiler which had been adopted for static industrial use.
M1 M 4-6-2 Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns 7427 of 1951 Stored Derwent Valley Railway, New Norfolk M1 was originally numbered M7 prior to the 1957 rebuilding by the TGR of four "M" class members to "MA" class.  Both the M & H classes had roller bearings on all axles and throughout the motion, the only Australian classes to be completely fitted out with roller bearings.  M1 was plinthed at Ross in 1971.  It was subsequently acquired by the Derwent Valley Railway and moved to their New Norfolk base in May 2000.
M2 M 4-6-2 Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns 7430 of 1951 Display Tanfield Steam Railway, Gateshead upon Tyne, England M2 was plinthed at the seaside town of Stanley on Tasmania's north coast, but inevitably deteriorated in the salty air.  M2 became available for removal in the late 1990's but apparently there wasn't much local interest in the locomotive due to its poor condition. M2 was sold for preservation at the Tanfield Steam Railway, UK as an example of locomotives constructed in the Newcastle area for export.  Melanie Dennis has kindly provided this detailed history of M2.
M3 M 4-6-2 Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns 7423 of 1951 Stored Don River Railway, Don M3 retained its original number during the 1957 rebuilding by the TGR of four "M" class members to "MA" class.  M3 is now preserved as an exhibit at the VDRS, Don and displayed on one of the turntable roads.  M3 is one of four M / MA class locos preserved at this excellent museum and workshop.
M4 M 4-6-2 Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns 7424 of 1951 Operational Don River Railway, Don M4 retained its original number during the 1957 rebuilding by the TGR of four "M" class members to "MA" class.   M4 is now preserved operational at the VDRS, Don and occasionally ventures onto the main line on rail tours.
M5 M 4-6-2 Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns 7425 of 1951 Operational Tasmanian Transport Museum, Glenorchy, Hobart. M5 was donated to the Tasmanian Transport Museum in November 1974 and is preserved in operational condition.
M6 M 4-6-2 Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns 7429 of 1951 Workshop Bellarine Peninsular Railway, Queenscliff, Victoria M6 was originally numbered M9 prior to the 1957 rebuilding by the TGR of four "M" class members to "MA" class.  M6 is now preserved at the Bellarine Railway and is currently awaiting overhaul after a period of operations.
MA1 MA 4-6-2 Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns 7428 of 1951 Stored Derwent Valley Railway, New Norfolk

MA1 had been plinthed in a park at Granton for many years.  It was acquired by the Derwent Valley Railway in mid-2000 and moved to their New Norfolk depot, where it remains in store.

MA2 MA 4-6-2 Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns 7421 of 1951 Stored Don River Railway, Don MA2 was originally numbered M1 prior to the rebuilding by the Tasmanian Government Railways of four "M" class members to "MA" class.  MA2 is preserved at the Don River Railway and had been an operational locomotive for many years, with occasional tours onto the main line.  It is currently stored unserviceable in the Don workshop, pending some repairs.
MA3 MA 4-6-2 Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns 7426 of 1951 Plinthed Margate - Roadside Market MA3 is plinthed at the Margate market, south of Hobart, which replicates a railway station and features cafes & other market stalls, despite the fact that the Tasmanian Government Railways never reached Margate!
MA4 MA 4-6-2 Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns 7422 of 1951 Display Don River Railway, Don MA4 was originally numbered M2 prior to the rebuilding of four "M" class members to "MA" class.  MA4 is statically displayed as the gatekeeper at the Don River Railway.
H1 H 4-8-2 Vulcan Foundry 5949 of 1951 Display Tasmanian Transport Museum, Glenorchy, Hobart. Eight members of the H-class were built by Vulcan Foundry for goods train working on the TGR.  H1 is now statically displayed at the TTM.
H2 H 4-8-2 Vulcan Foundry 5950 of 1951 Workshop Derwent Valley Railway, New Norfolk H2 was painted post office red by Tasmanian Government Railways for passenger train working and featured in the Tasmanian railway centenary celebrations of 1971.  In preservation, H2 has been the regular traffic locomotive for the Derwent Valley Railway's tourist services over the scenic National Park branch and is based at New Norfolk.  It is currently under overhaul.
H5 H 4-8-2 Vulcan Foundry 5953 of 1951 Stored Derwent Valley Railway, New Norfolk H5 was purchased privately from TGR and from 1979 to 2007 was plinthed at the Hillwood Strawberry Farm, a tourist attraction in the Launceston area.  H5 was acquired by the Derwent Valley Railway during 2007 and moved to their New Norfolk base on 15 December 2007, where it is now stored awaiting restoration.
H6 H 4-8-2 Vulcan Foundry 5954 of 1951 Plinthed Perth H6 is plinthed in a park at Perth, northern Tasmania, but unfortunately is lacking its tender.
H7 H 4-8-2 Vulcan Foundry 5955 of 1951 Display Don River Railway, Don H7 is statically displayed around the turntable at the Don River Railway.  H7's axle load is apparently too heavy for the track at the Don River Railway's operating line and thus restoration to operation is not anticipated.
H8 H 4-8-2 Vulcan Foundry 5956 of 1951 Components Invermay Rail Heritage Precinct, Launceston. The TGR was taken over by Australian National Railways in 1978, which appears to have prompted a cleanup of railway assets.  At this time H2, H3, H4, H5 and H8 were in storage at Launceston and quickly came up for acquisition. Whilst H2 and H5 were preserved, unfortunately H3 and H4 were scrapped in early 1979.  In addition, H8's chassis went to the Don River Railway at Coles BeachH8's remains moved to Inveresk in late 2001 and are now displayed on the weighbridge shed in the restored Invermay Rail Heritage Precinct.
2' Gauge
K1 K 0-4-0+0-4-0 Beyer Peacock 5292 of 1909 Workshops Welsh Highland Railway, Wales, United Kingdom K1 and sister K2 were the first Beyer-Garratt locomotives in the world, having been built by Beyer Peacock for the TGR for use on the North East Dundas Tramway.  K1 was first preserved when repurchased by Beyer Peacock & Co. in 1947 after lying in storage at Zeehan, Tasmania since about 1939. It has since been restored for operation on the Welsh Highland Railway in Wales.
G1 Photo required G 0-4-2 Sharp Stewart 4619 of 1900 Scrapped? Last seen at Childers, Qld The G-class locomotives were originally built to 0-4-2T configuration by Sharp Stewart, Glasgow for Tasmanian Government Railway use on the North East Dundas Tramway from Zeehan to Williamsford. G1 and G2 were later sold into the Queensland sugar industry at the Central Isis Sugar Mill, where they converted to tender locomotives and numbered 9 and 10 and also known as 'Tassie A' and 'Tassie B'. These locos apparently passed into private ownership / preservation, but Tassie A was reported as last seen at Childers and has probably been scrapped.
G2 Photo required G 0-4-2 Sharp Stewart 4432 of 1898 Scrapped St Mary's, NSW Tassie B was apparently scrapped at St Mary's Sydney in 1991.
H2 Photo required H 0-4-0WT Krauss 2589 of 1891 Components Gymea, Sydney? H2 was one of four similar small Krauss locomotives adopted second-hand into the TGR 'H-class' and used around Zeehan on the Tasmanian west coast.  It was later sold to the Corrimal-Balgownie Coal Co. in NSW where it became unused by 1933 and was partially cut up for scrap in 1956.  The remaining components were retrieved for preservation in 1972 and 1973.

For an overview of railway operations and preservation in Tasmania, refer to the excellent TasTrain site.