Formerly plinthed at Ringwood
This photo of 10 May 2003 shows tenderless D3 677 stored at Newport Workshops.
The boiler lagging and other components have been removed in order to slow corrosion.
This locomotive was constructed by the
Victorian Railways Newport Workshops in 1917 and originally numbered
DD 1021, becoming one of the 261 members of the Victorian Railways
DD-class. It was renumbered to DD 729 in 1925 before being rebuilt
with the larger superheated D3 boiler in
1930, becoming D3 677. (For more information about the
Victorian Railways DD-class locomotives, refer to the entry for
D3 677 was plinthed in a park at Ringwood in 1965 and remained there for many years until acquired by Steamrail Victoria. It was placed into storage at Newport Workshops, where it is ostensibly kept as heavy spares for operable Steamrail loco D3 639.
|a||"A brief history of Preserved Rolling Stock of Victoria" by Norm Bray, Peter J Vincent and Daryl M Gregory. Published by Brief History Books, PO Box 437, Sunbury, Vic 3429.|
|b||Webmaster's observation or comment|
Page updated: 19 December 2013