ARHS Museum, North Williamstown
D2 604 displayed at the ARHS Museum at North Williamstown. 10 May 2003.
The DD-class 4-6-0 passenger
locomotives originated in 1902 and became one of the Victorian Railways most
successful designs, being widely used on light lines and secondary routes.
261 examples were built by a series of builders:
VR Newport Workshops: 138
VR Ballarat Workshops: 8
VR Bendigo North Workshops: 8
Baldwin Locomotive Works, USA: 20
Walkers Limited, Maryborough, Qld: 20
Beyer Peacock & Co, Manchester: 20
Thompsons Foundry, Castlemaine: 40
Phoenix Foundry, Ballarat: 7
In addition to DD-class 4-6-0 tender locomotives, a 4-6-2T suburban tank variant known as the DDE-class was also developed and 58 of these locomotives were constructed. Two of these were later converted to DD-class 4-6-0 tender configuration.
Many members of the DD-class received superheaters and other modifications during their working careers. The Victorian Railways reclassified the original saturated steam locomotives as D1-class, while the superheated members became the D2-class. In 1929 and improved superheated boiler was trialed and proved successful, resulting a total of 94 locomotives being rebuilt to become the D3-class.
Unfortunately no members of the D1-class remain and D2 604 is the only surviving example of the D2-class. It was sold in 1956 to Australian Paper Manufacturers Ltd for use as a shunter at their Maryvale Paper Mill. Here it was converted to oil-burning and paired with an unusual tender, consisting of an oil-burner A2 tender tank on a D2 tender frame.
D2 604 was donated by Australian Paper Manufacturers Ltd to the Australian Railway Historical Society in 1962. It is displayed among the locomotive exhibits at the North Williamstown railway museum.
|a||ARHS (Victorian Division) 'North Williamstown Railway Museum', Third Edition 1968, revised 1977, reprinted 1980.|
Page updated: 9 December 2013