Formerly plinthed at Rosebud
This photo is kindly provided by Wes Barris from his excellent steamlocomotive.com website, and shows D3 638 at Ballarat in July 2000.
This locomotive was constructed by the
Victorian Railways Newport Workshops in 1916 and originally numbered
DD 1015, becoming one of the 261 members of the Victorian Railways DD-class.
It was renumbered DD 723 in 1923. It was superheated and modified to D2
class, becoming D2 723, and was further rebuilt with the larger D3 boiler in
1937, becoming D3 638. (For more information about the Victorian Railways
DD-class locomotives, refer to the entry for
D3 638 was sold for preservation in 1964 and plinthed in a park at Rosebud for many years. In more recent times it has been stored at the Ballarat East Depot site of the West Coast Railway with sisters D3 608, 641 and 688.
D3 638, D3 641 and D3 688 were purchased from the West Coast Railway by Steamrail Victoria in late 2004 and are now stored at the Steamrail compound at Ballarat East depot.
|a||"A brief history of Preserved Rolling Stock of Victoria" by Norm Bray, Peter J Vincent and Daryl M Gregory. Published by Brief History Books, PO Box 437, Sunbury, Vic 3429.|
|b||Webmaster's observation or comment|
Page updated: 29 November 2013