K 191

Recovered from a Wangaratta park

 

This photo is kindly provided by Andrew Swaine and shows K 191 being unloaded at the MRPS depot at Moorooduc in February 2001. (The chimney and some other fittings were removed for transport.)

 

K 191 was built by the Victorian Railways' Newport Workshops in 1946 as the second-last of the K-class locomotives. Boxpok wheels were provided for the final seven K-class locomotives and K 191 retains this distinctive feature. 

Following withdrawal by the Victorian Railways, K 191 was plinthed in a park in Wangaratta.

The Mornington Railway Preservation Society acquired K 191 and road-hauled the locomotive to their Moorooduc base in February 2001.

K 191 is now dismantled and under restoration at the MRPS depot at Moorooduc.

 

Here is a second view of K 191's arrival at Moorooduc in February 2001, kindly provided by Andrew Swaine.

Here is a useful Wikipedia link to general information about the K-class locomotives.

 

Page updated:  5 January 2009