K 175

Plinthed at Mildura

 

K 175 plinthed at Mildura on 19 September 2006.

This photo was kindly contributed by Alex Bradford.

Builder

Victorian Railways - Newport Workshops

Year

1941

Wheel Arrangement

2-8-0

No. in class

53

 

K 175 was built by the Victorian Railways' Newport Workshops in 1941 to the successful K-class 2-8-0 locomotive design for branch-line work.

K 175 was plinthed in a park at Mildura (alongside the Murray River) following its withdrawal by the Victorian Railways.   Most of the photos on this page date from the webmaster's visit to Mildura on 21 April 2014.

Here is a useful Wikipedia link which provides further information about the Victorian Railway K-class locomotives.

A close-up view of  K 175's front end, showing that the chimney has cracked.  21 April 2014.

K 175's tender is heavily patched.  21 April 2014.

Detail view of the tender bogie, including the ornate cast "VR" axlebox covers.

K 175's plinthed in the riverside park at Mildura.  21 April 2014

Odd sox! K 175's finished its days with the main crank wheelset of the Boxpox design, whereas the other driving wheels are spoked.

K 175's left cabside, showing the automatic staff exchanger.

K 175's right cabside includes a commemorative plaque (detail below).

The plaque attached to K 175's cabside.

Brian Black has provided this much earlier view of K175 plinthed at Mildura in 1975.

At that stage the public were welcome to clamber on the locomotive!

In the background the Mildura rail yard is full of 4-wheel goods vehicles.

 

References

a

"Locomotives of Australia" by Leon Oberg

published by J. W. Books Pty Ltd, 1982 reprint

b

Webmaster's observation or comment

 

Page updated:  19 April 2015

Government Railways:

NSWGR

QGR

CR

WAGR

VR

TGR

SAR

 

Contributions

Home

Private & Industrial Railways:

NSW

QLD

Sugar

WA

Vic

Tas

SA

 

Copyright

References