K 162

Plinthed at Yarragon

 

This photo is courtesy of John Farrell, dated 24 February 2002, and shows K 162 (numbered K 183) plinthed at Yarragon.

K 162 was built by the Victorian Railways' Newport Workshops in 1941 to the successful K-class 2-8-0 locomotive design.  A total of 53 K-class locomotives were constructed for branch-line duties, with a significant number retained in storage or for workshop shunting duties towards to end of steam traction on the Victorian Railways.

K 162 had been maintained as a railtour engine by Steamrail during the 1970's however it eventually became somewhat worn-out. Rather than embark upon an expensive restoration, Steamrail arranged to swap K 162 with sister K 183 which was plinthed at Yarragon and apparently in significantly better condition.  Accordingly the locomotive unit of K 183 was swapped with K 162 in 1982, and K 162 (paired with K 183's tender which remained plinthed at Yarragon) now carries the number K 183.

 

References

 

a

L. Oberg, 'Locomotives of Australia', published by J. W. Books Pty Ltd, Brookvale NSW. 1982 reprint.

d

Webmaster's observation or comment.

 

Page updated:  12 November 2013

Government Railways:

NSWGR

QGR

CR

WAGR

VR

TGR

SAR

 

Contributions

Home

Private & Industrial Railways:

NSW

QLD

Sugar

WA

Vic

Tas

SA

 

Copyright

References