Victorian Goldfields Railway
This photo is kindly provided by Roy Bird and shows K160 shunting at Maldon station on 30 May 2004.
K 160 was built by the Victorian Railways' Newport Workshops in 1940 to the successful K-class 2-8-0 locomotive design. A total of 53 K-class locomotives were constructed for branch-line duties, with a significant number retained in storage or for workshop shunting duties towards to end of steam traction on the Victorian Railways.
K 160 is preserved in operational condition at Maldon on the Victorian Goldfields Railway.
Here is a useful Wikipedia link to general information about the K-class locomotives.
K 160 resting over the ash on the turntable road at Maldon locomotive depot.
Photo contributed by Chris Thompson and dated 29 November 2005.
Second & third views of K 160 awaiting its next steaming at Maldon.
Photos contributed by Chris Thompson and dated 29 November 2005.
|a||L. Oberg, 'Locomotives of Australia', published by J. W. Books Pty Ltd, Brookvale NSW. 1982 reprint.|
Webmaster's observation or comment
Page updated: 12 November 2013